Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Finally, a reason to appreciate Halo 3.

The following video is perfect.




It may seem ridiculous to make this claim, but in the age of "Perfect 10" reviews, it seems appropriate.

I, for one, am not against the Perfect 10. GTA IV for example, is the best possible game at the moment of its release, in terms of its goals and objectives. The game could certainly see improvements, but the few flaws do not take away from the game going above and beyond what is expected of a Grand Theft Auto game.

Metal Gear Solid IV, if it does earn Perfect 10's, will do so because it has peaked.

These games are not the perfect games, they are simply the most complete possible for this time. Any improvements on the formulae will only build upon what these two titles have brought to the table.

So the video? Halo 3 underwhelmed me, as had the previous two Halo games, but the production quality and cleverness (high cleverity indeed) surprised me. Well done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, that was a most entertaining video. And yes, I have broken my code of silence to argue with you.

THE BATTLE OF THE PERFECT 10 RAGETH ON

The last time I checked, the dictionary did not define the perfection as "the best thing in the world at the time of its conception." Really, even Dr. Shepard would be pissed at you for making such a fallacious statement. For example, if I were to load up a game of Asteroids this evening and happen to beat the world's highest score, it would seem that I could count on you to define my achievement as perfect because I had achieved the best play-through at that exact moment in time.

Also, you do your argument few favors when you yourself make the distinction that games that have been awarded perfect scores "are not the perfect games." Not perfect does not equate to perfect. A perfect 10 denotes that a game is not complete only the day it launches, but every day after that as well. It cannot see improvements because within the concept of perfection improvements do not exist.

If Grand Theft Auto IV goes beyond what it is to be a GTA game, then it is a good GTA game. Nothing more, nothing less. I implore you not to mistake it for a perfect GTA game.

Still, for all my whining and screaming, I don't really mind the existence of the 10 out of 10 rating. Your argument does have merit in its claim that a 10 represents the pinnacle of gaming at a point in time. Such masterpieces deserve the distinction for being what they are and the 10 out of 10 is precisely what sets them apart.

Just don't call them perfect.